|The Three Sisters - Minnekahda is 9.50
miles on the road with hilly
The starting point for this route is: Downtown YMCA
Comments about this route:
This route runs "clockwise" around Minnekahada - or N,E,S,W vs. the way other routes go. It is the same direction that is typically run during the Chattanooga Chase. This is a good confidence builder!
- Turn LEFT out of the Y parking lot and follow 6th to Walnut
- Turn LEFT on Walnut and go over the Walnut Street Bridge
- Keep going straight across the bridge and climb Forest Avenue
- Stay on Forest, passing the Fire Station on your right
- Bear RIGHT on Mississippi Avenue
- Turn LEFT on Summer Street
- At the bottom of Summer Street, several streets intersect - follow Dartmouth to Hixson Pike
- Cross Hixson Pike and bear RIGHT toward Green Life
- Turn LEFT on Dorchester Road in front of Green Life
- Pass Riverview Park (the park will be on your right - it has water and bathrooms!) staying on Dorchester Road
- One block past the park, Dorchester turns RIGHT while Riverview Rd. bends left. Turn RIGHT and Follow Dorchester
- Go two blocks on Dorchester and turn LEFT onto Concord (no choice here)
- Go one block and turn LEFT onto North Ave. (no choice here either)
- Go one block and turn LEFT onto Devonshire (getting dizzy yet?)
- Go one block and turn RIGHT back onto Dorchester. Go another block and then turn
- RIGHT onto Riverview Road
- Follow Riverview Road past the golf course on the right, the river on the right and up the hill until you reach a fork at the top where Riverview bends left, Sunset Rd goes straight and Minnekahda bends right
- Go STRAIGHT onto Sunset Rd. - at the crest of Sunset, there is a water fountain next to Abner Oldham's mailbox on the left. After getting some water, finish heading down Sunset
- Turn RIGHT at the bottom of Sunset onto Shady Circle (no sign at the intersection) and go one block to the next intersection where you cross the intersection and go
- STRAIGHT up the hill (Woodhill Drive, but no street sign again) which will crest and come back down to Hixson Pike.
- RIGHT onto Hixson Pike, go a block and turn
- RIGHT onto Minnekahda. Climb Minnekahda all the way to the top where you will find road heading downhill with a sign on the left stating in bold: "Turn Here STOP Gate Closed"
- Continue on down the hill. When you reach the gate, take the walking path on the right around the gate and continue down Minnekahda until it reconnects at the intersection you came to earlier at Riverview and Sunset.
- Turn LEFT onto Riverview Road
- Follow Riverview back to the park after the golf course
- Turn LEFT onto Sterling and then RIGHT toward the park (water and bathrooms)
- Turn LEFT onto Young. Follow Young to the top and then turn LEFT, go one block and
- Turn RIGHT on Sterling
- Sterling will take in front of GPS (water fountain on corner of Sterling)
- Turn RIGHT off Sterling and head to Barton Avenue
- Take a LEFT on Barton and cross Veteran's Bridge
- When you reach 6th Street take a RIGHT and head back to the Y
- That's it!